Wednesday newsletters at all times characteristic a resort or flight assessment.
Late summer season 2023, I traveled to Greece’s mainland and the Greek islands of Santorini and Mykonos. You possibly can learn my journey stories right here:
Right this moment: Nobu Resort Santorini (Greece)
Located on Santorini’s charming northeast coast, Nobu Resort Santorini is boutique resort which provides panoramic views of each the caldera and Aegean Sea from its distinctive clifftop location. The property homes a signature Nobu Restaurant, health facility, dual-level infinity pool, 25 rooms & suites (together with 5 pool villas). Only a 10-minute drive from the charming coastal city of Oia and 20 minutes from Santorini (Thira) Worldwide Airport, the resort is well-positioned alongside the famed Oia-Fira climbing path that runs between Oia and Fira, Santorini’s cosmopolitan capital. The property is managed by Nobu, the worldwide way of life model based by Nobu Matsuhisa, Robert De Niro, and Meir Teper.
Have you ever ever stayed at Nobu Resort Santorini? If that’s the case, what was your expertise? Depart a remark.
On this assessment (extra information and pictures under my YouTube video):
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- The Nobu Resort is situated in a secluded spot on Santorini’s majestic volcanic cliffs (caldera). The boutique resort is about alongside a mud highway, which is basically a part of the well-known climbing path that connects Fira, the capital of Santorini, with Oia, the island’s most picturesque village. In actual fact, the resort is at the moment the one improvement on this a part of Santorini and its remoted but central location is one in every of its principal attracts, providing the most effective of each worlds: it’s inside a brief distance from Santorini’s most well-known cities and village (by taxi or on foot in the event you don’t thoughts some critical climbing alongside the caldera path) however far sufficient away from the large vacationer crowds that go to the island’s points of interest every summer season. The Nobu Resort can also be conveniently near the airport (a 15 min drive) and the seaport (a 40 min drive).
- The Nobu Resort Santorini is situated on the outskirts of Imerovigli village. Imerovigli is usually dubbed “the balcony of the Aegean” as a result of its place on the highest level of Santorini’s caldera (300 m or 1000 ft above sea stage). Whereas the resort’s setting is just not as excessive as Imerovigli (and it’s fairly an uphill hike attending to the village), the views from the property are simply as beautiful. The resort’s communal areas (pool & restaurant) in addition to a number of rooms boasts jaw-dropping views of the island’s caldera and the shimmering Aegean Sea. The property even appears out over the whitewashed village of Oia, which is world-famous for its Cycladic structure and sensible sundown views (attracting 1000’s of vacationers every night time), though the sundown views from the resort are equally mesmerizing and crowd-free.
- Opened in 2022, the Nobu Resort Santorini was not constructed from the bottom up, however is a smooth revamp of a former five-star property (Omma Resort). The boutique property is designed within the conventional Cycladic fashion with a contact of Asian minimalism, leading to an eclectic fusion of Greek structure and Japanese interiors. The renovation of the prevailing resort web site – Nobu’s first enterprise in Greece – was overseen by Elastic Architects, an award-winning Greek firm of gifted architects and inside designers. On the heart of the design is the resort’s open-sided courtyard with swimming pool, which enjoys breathtaking caldera views. One aspect of the pool includes a small outside reception space and a gymnasium (on the bottom flooring) as effectively because the breakfast restaurant (on the primary stage) whereas the resort’s signature Nobu Restaurant is located on the opposite aspect of the pool.
- The social hub of Nobu Resort Santorini is the attractive bi-level infinity pool, which sits on the coronary heart of the property. The higher stage is an oblong lap pool working parallel to the road in entrance of the resort and having fun with phenomenal caldera views, whereas the decrease stage is a sq. pool, located immediately behind the higher stage pool and having fun with a extra non-public ambiance away from the road. Most visitors will begin the day with a dip within the resort’s dreamy infinity pool, earlier than heading out to discover the island. Then, they’ll return to have lunch and to spend the afternoon lounging by the pool on plush sunbeds that ooze fashion and luxury, earlier than watching the solar go down, with a contemporary drink in hand and within the firm of likeminded folks. On chosen days (Thursday to Sunday), the resident DJ performs a backdrop of chilled island beats throughout sundown.
- Nobu Resort Santorini is an intimate boutique property, that includes simply 25 bedrooms. Lodging choices vary from the first-floor Aozora suites (with caldera & sundown views) to the two-level villas that includes non-public gardens and swimming swimming pools (the latter look out onto the opposite aspect of the island and include dawn views). Throughout my vacation, I stayed in a Umi Suite on the resort’s first flooring, which was reached by a separate entrance from the road. Styled in a minimalistic design, the cave-house fashion room featured a king-sized mattress (with a Simmons luxurious mattress), a lounge chair, and an ensuite lavatory outfitted with one wash basin, a rest room, and a bathe. The suite’s spotlight was its non-public terrace with Jacuzzi, which provided spectacular panoramic views of the Caldera. Room facilities included a Nespresso machine, LCD TV with satellite tv for pc channels, and a Parlux hairdryer and Nature Bisse toiletries.
- The resort is dwelling to the nation’s first Nobu Restaurant. Set in a pergola moreover the pool, the venue serves lunch and dinner. At lunch, visitors can select from a wide range of Mediterranean dishes and rotating ‘off the menu specials’ (don’t neglect to ask for the catch of the day) or go for heartier choices like Fried Umami Rooster Wings, Donburi and Wagyu Beef Sando. The signature Nobu expertise is served at dinnertime and options dishes corresponding to Nobu Tacos, Wagyu Dumplings, Rock Shrimps Tempura and Seafood & Beef Toban Yaki. The resort’s breakfast – which is served till midday on a terrace above the reception space – options the favored Nobu-Model “Full English”, Scrambled Egg Donburi and Matsuhisa Benedict to sweeter Chia Pudding and native Kagianas, a easy mixture of scrambled eggs, feta and tomato.
- The boutique property is a member of the Nobu Resort assortment. Named one of the crucial revolutionary luxurious manufacturers by Robb Report, Nobu Hospitality is ranked amongst an elite number of world way of life manufacturers. Based by Nobu Matsuhisa, Robert De Niro, and Meir Teper, with operations spanning 5 continents, the Nobu model thrives on the planet’s capitals as the final word vacation spot way of life expertise. Nobu Resorts mix trendy cool luxurious and minimal Japanese custom into the idea of a way of life resort. The primary Nobu Resort opened in 2013 in Las Vegas and since then a further 35 motels have been added each open and in improvement. Right this moment Nobu motels are open within the following areas: Manila, Miami Seaside, Malibu, Shoreditch (London), Ibiza, Palo Alto, Marbella, Los Cabos, Barcelona, Warsaw, Chicago, Portman Sq. (London), Santorini, Atlanta, Marrakech and Seville.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
- Rooms at Nobu Resort Santorini are pretty shut collectively and don’t at all times really feel very non-public. For instance, a number of rooms on the bottom flooring have terraces which look out proper on the general public pool deck. Though these rooms include Jacuzzis, visitors won’t be inclined to make use of them as a result of a lack of privateness, since different visitors are continually passing by at shut proximity. If privateness is a should for you, be sure that to e book a primary flooring room.
- Nobu Resort Santorini is situated proper subsequent to a mud highway which could be very in style amongst hikers (because it connects the island’s capital Thyra with Oia). Throughout the day, dozens of hikers cross alongside the property and have a direct view of visitors lounging across the higher pool (which is situated on the road stage). It would really feel a bit awkward, however that stated, most motels within the Imerovigli space are situated alongside this climbing path with their pool areas uncovered to passing trekkers. The excellent news is that there’s seldom motor site visitors at Nobu Resort Santorini and the fabulous views throughout the caldera greater than make of for the shortage of privateness.
- Nobu Resort Santorini calls all of its rooms “suites”, however in reality they really feel extra like rooms than true suites. For instance, whereas my room – the Uma Suite – was completely beautiful, it was not an actual suite, no less than not on the within. Apart from one armchair, there was no actual sitting space (though the outside terrace was intensive). Additionally the villas on the resort aren’t what I might name true villas: every villa is comprised of two bedrooms on prime of one another, however there isn’t a separate sitting space. One thing to remember is that the villas – that are nice for households or a bunch of mates – don’t include caldera views (they appear out over Santorini’s reverse aspect)
- The service at Nobu Resort Santorini didn’t utterly adhere to the requirements I’d count on from a luxurious property. This can be partly as a result of the resort is new – and they’re understanding the kinks – however I did encounter a number of service points throughout my keep. For instance, the check-in course of was a particularly gradual affair and took roughly half-hour (and after I used to be lastly on my option to the room, I used to be known as again to the reception space since they forgot to serve me a welcome drink). Additionally, I obtained the fallacious orders for breakfast on every morning of my two-night keep (which turned a bit irritating after some time), and the morning of my departure – once I needed to catch my aircraft again dwelling – it took 45 minutes to organize my sizzling breakfast dish. General, the workers was very pleasant however they gave the impression to be missing some coaching in sure areas. I hope that the service can be extra polished subsequent season.
- Nobu Resort Santorini includes a well-equipped gymnasium, but it surely lack a wellness heart. At present, spa therapies are solely out there in-room though the resort house owners have plans to construct a luxe spa sooner or later.
- Nobu Resort Santorini is happy with its sustainability insurance policies however sadly, it nonetheless provides single-use lavatory toiletries (as an alternative of refillable glass-only bottles).
- Final summer season, Nobu Resort Santorini was one of the crucial costly motels on Santorini Island. Throughout excessive season, the entry room charges have been effectively above 1000 euros per night time, which – in my humble opinion – was an excessive amount of, given the shortage of privateness of the pool space and several other rooms, as effectively the service points I encountered. That stated, I observed that room charges for the following seasons are extra affordable (beginning at 681 euros per night time) and extra in step with the product provided.
- Location: 8/10
- Design: 8/10
- Pool: 9/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Meals: 8/10
- Breakfast: 8/10
- Spa: n/a (not out there)
- Service: 7/10
- Wow issue: 8/10
- Worth for cash: 7/10
- General expertise: 8/10 (excellent)
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Get monetary savings: learn right here my ideas for getting the most effective deal at a luxurious resort like Nobu Resort Santorini (and/or obtain many free perks).
- Room tip: if full privateness is a should for you, be sure that to keep away from the bottom flooring rooms and to e book a primary flooring room as an alternative.
- Learn my ideas for making ready your journey in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The very best time to go to Santorini is spring and fall when the climate’s heat and the crowds are few. Like all the Cyclades, Santorini welcomes essentially the most guests in the course of the summer season, so that you’ll have to make your reservations no less than two months upfront to journey then.
HOW TO GET THERE
Nobu Resort Santorini is situated a 40 minute drive from Santorini’s ferry port and a 15 min drive from Santorini (Thira) Nationwide Airport. The airport is served by most European charters and a few full-service and low-cost airways in vacationer season (click on right here for a direct hyperlink to their web sites), however has no direct abroad connections.
Beneath is a number of my pictures of Nobu Resort Santorini. To view extra resort pictures (together with dinner on the Nobu Restaurant), click on right here.