Boulder Metropolis, Nevada is an enthralling and idyllic neighborhood perched above Lake Mead and the dam that created the city. Established in 1931 to accommodate the builders of Boulder Dam (later modified to Hoover Dam), Boulder Metropolis will not be removed from its neighbor recognized for glittering neon lights and excessive stakes gaming. Whereas simply 30 miles from Las Vegas, Boulder Metropolis is a world away from the town that by no means sleeps. There are not any vivid lights or playing allowed in Boulder Metropolis. As an alternative, it’s a peaceable place to walk the streets and go to classic retailers, vintage shops, peruse the general public artwork or its many parks. Boulder Metropolis is the gateway to many close by actions, from the Hoover Dam, water sports activities, lake excursions, ghost cities to mountain climbing trails and extra.
Like most individuals coming from Phoenix, I sometimes simply bypass Boulder Metropolis en path to Sin Metropolis. Nevertheless, this time, I made a decision to spend three nights absorbing the historical past and close by actions.
Whereas there are a variety of locations to remain on the town, I opted for the historic Boulder Dam Lodge, which is situated within the coronary heart of downtown, strolling distance to retailers, eating places, museums and extra. In-built 1933, the Boulder Dam Lodge has preserved its allure and traditional model of the period. The foyer is a big and open area inviting company to congregate in quite a lot of seating configurations. My associate and I loved the wingback chairs subsequent to the expansive hearth within the evenings with a cocktail in hand.
There are three lodging ranges to select from. We stayed in one of many suites which was 420sf and included a big rest room, king mattress, seating space and kitchenette. The usual rooms have a queen mattress at 210sf they usually have king rooms which are 100sf bigger. In addition they have an on-site restaurant for breakfast and lunch, and a basement bar that usually has dwell music. There may be additionally the Hoover Dam museum situated on the primary ground which is admittedly price testing, and admission is free.
The tempo in Boulder Metropolis is far slower and extra quiet than Las Vegas, and the one ringing you’ll hear are from the church bells offering the time of day. The primary drag via city is Nevada Means, from which every thing stems. Inside historic downtown are superbly preserved brick houses from the early 30s when the dam was being constructed.
BEST RESTAURANTS IN BOULDER CITY
We tried a number of eating places whereas on the town, however since we had been off exploring within the afternoons, we ended up having late breakfasts and early dinners, skipping lunch.
- Espresso Cup Cafe – That is most likely one of the crucial well-known eating places on the town due to visits by Man Fieri of “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. They’re additionally well-known for his or her Bloody Marys and attractive down-home cookin’. The decor and structure are traditional diner model with partitions adorned by water-skis and different memorabilia harking back to the world.
- Southwest Diner – That is one other Boulder Metropolis establishment specializing in home-made meals like Grandma used to make. That is an reasonably priced place for breakfast or lunch. Lots of their menu gadgets, like fresh-made banana bread, pies and even their sizzling sauce, can be found for take-home buy.
- The Restaurant at Boulder Dam Lodge – Good venue, modest and informal eating at this historic lodge.
- Milo’s Cellar – Most likely often known as one of many nicest locations on the town for dinner. Pretty environment with out of doors patio. Nice wine choice and menu gadgets that complement the vino expertise.
- Momo Sushi – A incredible hole-in-the-wall sushi restaurant run by an area Japanese household.
- The Dillinger – Affords connoisseur burgers, scrumptious salads and craft beer.
- Cornish Pasty Co. – The Cornish Pasty originates from Cornwall England which is legendary for its pasties, a sandwich of types made with a thick crimped edge alongside one aspect making them simple to eat. The venue is admittedly cool, however the meals and repair was fairly mediocre. I want to give this place a second likelihood sooner or later as they’ve just a few different places in Arizona.
There are a few BBQ and Mexican eating places on the town that regarded good, however we didn’t get an opportunity to test them out on this journey. If in case you have any suggestions, please go away them within the feedback beneath.
TOP THINGS TO DO NEAR BOULDER CITY
- Hoover Dam after all is without doubt one of the fundamental points of interest, this engineering marvel is to not be missed. When you’ve by no means been, I extremely suggest spending just a few hours touring this unbelievable achievement. Take the tour that takes you down into the depths of the dam, see the huge mills, peer out of the vents of the dam trying down the Colorado River and be taught concerning the historical past of constructing the dam that created the biggest man-made lake within the States. Don’t miss strolling the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge for an unparalleled view of the dam.
- El Dorado Canyon Ghost City in Nelson – Positioned about half-hour south of Boulder Metropolis is a spot that encapsulates Nevada’s wild west roots. This can be a privately owned ghost city obtainable to pursue by yourself, or you may take a tour, which features a take a look at the Techatticup Mine that when produced hundreds of thousands in valuable metals.
- Hemmenway Valley Park – There are numerous great parks in Boulder Metropolis, however this one is especially fascinating. This park is simply 10 acres and consists of playground tools, gazebos, basketball courts, horseshoe pits and two lighted tennis courts with incredible views of Lake Mead. The park’s fundamental points of interest although is the Bighorn sheep that come down from the mountains to water and graze. The sheep are very used to people, you may sit on a park bench and watch them graze throughout you.
- Railroad Tunnel Path – This can be a great scenic hike that takes you alongside the previous railroad tracks that served to assemble the Hoover Dam. You’ll discover views of Lake Mead alongside the best way as you go via a number of tunnels that had been chiseled out of the rock. You’ll be able to stroll all the best way to Hoover Dam and again, which is about 9 miles. The scenic half stops about midway once you run throughout a rest room, which additionally makes a superb turn-around spot and is half the space.
- Lake Mead – This can be a incredible leisure lake providing cruises, every kind of water sports activities, fishing and extra. The drive alongside Hwy 167 presents some spectacular views. When you drive far sufficient, you may go to the fascinating ghost city of St. Thomas, which was underwater for many years earlier than the lake start to recede. A contact farther is Valley of Fireplace, which is simply an hour away from Boulder Metropolis.
TOP THINGS TO DO IN HISTORIC DOWNTOWN
- Boulder Metropolis Artwork Guild Gallery – Positioned within the historic Boulder Dam Lodge, this artwork gallery options the works of native artists and is a must-visit for artwork fans.
- Boulder Theater – This classic movie show, in-built 1932, has been totally restored and now serves as a venue for movies, live shows, and different occasions.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum – Positioned in a historic depot, this museum incorporates a assortment of restored locomotives, passenger automobiles, and different railroad tools.
- The Olive Department – This store presents quite a lot of olive oils, vinegar, and different specialty meals gadgets, in addition to tastings and cooking lessons.
- The Chocolate Nugget – This artisan chocolate store presents quite a lot of handcrafted goodies and different sweets, in addition to chocolate-making lessons.
Many will ask why Boulder Metropolis has no gaming…it’s as a result of the town was based as a federal reservation for Nice Melancholy-era employees constructing the Hoover Dam, and because it was on authorities land on the time, playing, in addition to consuming, was unlawful. It wasn’t till a decade after the federal authorities gave up possession of the town within the 60s that liquor was even allowed. Native leaders have continued to withstand playing in Boulder Metropolis to maintain it a respite from the remainder of the state.
In case you are planning on visiting Las Vegas, do your self a favor and carve out a pair three days and spend it in Boulder Metropolis, it makes a beautiful residence base to discover the sights listed above, in addition to a reprieve from the hustle of Sin Metropolis.
If in case you have any questions on visiting Boulder Metropolis, go away a remark beneath. If in case you have any solutions, comparable to locations to see or eating places to go to, please share beneath. So till subsequent time, we’ll see ya on the street…