Grenada, often called the spice island of the Caribbean, is internet hosting its tenth annual, week-long Grenada Chocolate Competition. The competition, which began in 2014, will happen from Might 16 – 21, 2023 and celebrates the wealthy historical past and tradition of chocolate manufacturing in Grenada. The island is residence to 6 chocolate corporations: Tri-Island Chocolate, Belmont Property, Crayfish Bay Natural Chocolate, Jouvay Chocolate, Style ‘D’ Spice Chocolate, and the world-famous Grenada Chocolate Firm, a pioneer of the tree-to-bar chocolate motion.
This yr, the competition is returning with a particular Rum Version the place attendees will be taught in regards to the historical past of rum and chocolate manufacturing, whereas having fun with a mixture of rum tastings and excursions at native distilleries, a masterclass with Renegade and Tri Island, and mixologist competitions at Mount Cinnamon. Guests will even discover the cocoa fields of sustainable chocolate factories, behind-the-scene journeys of the ethically produced tree-to-bar chocolate making processes, chocolate arts and crafts, and even chocolate yoga meditation.
“The Grenada Chocolate Competition has turn into a spotlight for chocolate lovers and budding chocolatiers from world wide. With a wide range of enjoyable and scrumptious experiences, from exploring the cocoa farms to tasting premium high-quality chocolate to chocolate-based wellness experiences, the competition welcomes guests to discover our stunning island and have a good time this vital factor of Grenadian tradition with locals. Grenada’s volcanic soil, heat climate, and thick rainforests make the island a perfect local weather to develop advantageous cocoa, of which solely 12 p.c of the world’s exported beans have this designation. Right here within the Spice Isle, one hundred pc of our cocoa exports are categorized as advantageous flavored cocoa. At the moment, Grenada produces about 800 tons of cocoa per yr, contributing to six% of GDP,” says Petra Roach, CEO of Grenada Tourism Authority.
“The Grenada Chocolate Competition is a testomony to the onerous work and dedication of the native farmers and chocolatiers who’ve made Grenada a world-renowned vacation spot for chocolate lovers, along with the facility of group and the significance of sustainable and moral practices in a small island,” stated Magdalena Fielden, Founding father of the Grenada Chocolate Competition.
Beneath is the schedule of occasions for this yr’s Grenada Chocolate + Rum Competition:
• Day 1, Tuesday, Might 16: Welcome to Grenada Chocolate Fest – The competition kicks off with rum tastings and experiences at Tri Island and a go to to the Home of Chocolate within the morning earlier than stress-free the afternoon away. The opening celebration of the competition takes place at Westerhall Property the place one can get pleasure from a night stuffed with music, chocolate, rum and native meals distributors.
• Day 2, Wednesday, Might 17: Celebration of Cocoa at Belmont Property – Uncover historic Grenadian cocoa traditions with one of many oldest working estates, Belmont Property. Participate in a farmer’s lunch on the property in the course of the afternoon hours. Within the night, end up at a Cocktail Grasp Class at True Blue Rum Store earlier than heading to the “Chocolate Rum Avenue Meals Extravaganza” at Dodgy Dock to get pleasure from dinner, stay music and cocktails underneath the celebrities.
• Day 3, Thursday, Might 18: Grenada Chocolate + Rum Tradition – Plunge into the picturesque Annandale Waterfalls within the afternoon and depart with your personal spiced rum bottle creation from Wild Orchid. Then head to Silversands within the night to decide on between two periods of rum and chocolate masterclass, or head to True Blue Bay Resort for a sundown chocolate night time dive with Aquanauts Grenada and after dinner pint of chocolate beer on the West Indies Brewery.
• Day 4, Friday, Might 19: Flavoring Chocolate and Rum – Get pleasure from a tree-to-bar sustainable chocolate flavoring expertise at Crayfish Bay adopted by a farm-to-table lunch and swim at Mount Edgecombe. Within the night, see high mixologists compete in a rum and chocolate cocktail competitors at Mount Cinnamon. Cap off the night time with a seashore bonfire by Savvy’s.
• Day 5, Saturday, Might 20: Chocolate Household Day + Distillery Excursions – Households will be taught one thing new throughout enjoyable chocolate actions, cocoa theme children e-book readings, and cocoa theme crafts bazaar all through the day. Distillery excursions at each Renegade Rum and Rivers Rum will even be out there. Loosen up throughout a yoga sound therapeutic with chocolate at Sankalpa Yoga Studio earlier than rounding up the day with a chocolate culinary dinner at Dodgy Dock.
• Day 6, Sunday, Might 21: Chocolate, Wellness, and the Arts – Be taught in regards to the wellness advantages of chocolate for the pores and skin and physique as you take part in a morning yoga session and create cocoa butter and chocolate potions at True Blue Bay Resort. Observe by an expertise of flavors and aromas on the Tower. As we wrap up the week of chocolate, company can attend the closing celebration hosted by Le Phare Bleu for remaining toasts, tastings and fabulous stay music.