Searching for winter highway journey concepts in Europe? Unsure the place you may head to get pleasure from protected driving, and unbelievable surroundings? We’ve obtained you coated!
Don’t overlook to obtain your FREE Europe highway journey guidelines beneath.
*We work onerous to make this one of the best motorhome weblog and highway journey web site doable, stuffed with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so for those who purchase by hyperlinks on this web site we might earn a commission- at no further price to you. All opinions stay our personal.
In the event you discover this put up helpful, you can too deal with us to a espresso on the backside of this page- we promise to get pleasure from it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we’d even take pleasure in a biscuit (or two!)
Greatest Winter Street Journeys in Europe
Winter highway journeys in Europe could be troublesome. Relying on the place you reside (or the place you’re beginning the highway journey from, getting there could be powerful! Many mountain passes are closed and plenty of massive vacationer cities shut for the winter
Nevertheless, don’t despair. There are nonetheless some unbelievable locations to go to throughout Europe throughout winter. In the event you’re getting in November and December, you might get pleasure from a number of the greatest and largest Christmas Markets in Europe.
In the event you’re going from January- March you might select between discovering winter sunshine, or going to get pleasure from some cities and cities in Europe that are EVEN BETTER in winter!
Intrigued? Learn on…
Ideas for planning your Europe Winter Street Journey
Earlier than you set off, whether or not you’re travelling by automobile, motorhome, campervan or motorcycle (!), there are some issues it is advisable to do to organize your automobile.
Firstly, be sure you know all of the package you MUST have in your automobile whereas touring Europe. Get your free guidelines right here:
Wish to head to Europe together with your motorhome?
Seize your FREE (printable) guidelines and uncover 25 stuff you NEED to take with you while you journey in Europe. Make your life simpler at the moment.
Ensure you have winter tyres fitted. These are obligatory in lots of international locations in Europe between October- March, and in international locations like France in mountainous areas. You may additionally want to hold snow chains.
Plan your itinerary rigorously. Days are shorter in winter, which means you may’t journey as far. Roads can be extra treacherous at night time when it will get colder, so attempt to keep away from driving at night time the place doable.
You’ll additionally wish to enable further time between stops, whether or not you’re touring Europe in a motorhome and utilizing campsites/ aires, or staying in accommodations/ B& Bs. If the climate is dangerous, you’ll drive extra slowly, so it should take longer to get between locations. Including an additional 20-30% is an efficient rule of thumb.
Begin your day later. Chilly temperatures in a single day can depart many roads slippery within the morning, even when they’ve been gritted. Wait till mid-morning to begin your travels so the roads have had an opportunity to heat up a bit.
Epic locations to go to on a winter highway journey in Europe for snowy scenes
Listed here are a few of our favorite European winter highway journey itinerary concepts:
- Begin level/ metropolis: Bergen
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Flåm
- Route: Varied
Western Norway’s fjords are an excellent winter highway journey for snow-savvy drivers. Within the winter, few individuals go to the fjords, making it a improbable time to view the sights AND take unbelievable images.
Bergen, Norway’s second-largest metropolis, is a good winter base. There’s loads occurring and, for those who go to in December, you may see Pepperkakebyen, the world’s largest gingerbread hamlet!
Some epic winter highway journey concepts from Bergen
- One of many prettiest routes is to Flåm. You might experience the Flåm railway and go to Aurlandsfjord.
- You might additionally drive to Voss, the most effective locations for journey sports activities, Gudvangen (dwelling of Viking Valley), and the Stegastein viewpoint.
- Don’t miss the numerous waterfalls across the area- they’re breathtaking.
Don’t overlook, whether or not you’re driving a automobile or motorhoming in Norway, you should have winter tyres, and drive together with your headlights on all day.
Keep in mind the times are a lot shorter so that you gained’t have the ability to journey up to now.
Romantic Street, Germany
- Begin level/ metropolis: Würzburg
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Füssen
- Route: Autobahn B3
- Distance (miles and km): 460km / 290miles
- Time to drive: 3-10 days
The Romantic Street is likely one of the most well-known highway journeys in Germany. The whole route is round 290 miles (460km) by Bavaria in South Germany, beginning in Würzburg (within the north) and ending in Füssen (within the south, close to the Austrian Border and the fairytale fortress of Neuschwanstein!)
Though this route is phenomenal at any time of the 12 months, driving it in winter is further particular. The surroundings is spectacular and the cities look much more like they’ve simply sprung from a fairytale.
Winter Street Journey itinerary concept
- Begin your winter highway journey within the conventional wine metropolis of Würzburg.
- Don’t miss the spectacular Christmas city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, or the historic cities of Feuchtwangen, Nördlingen or Augsburg (apparently the the oldest metropolis in Germany!)
- Many many castles and historic sights, together with Harburg and Hohenschwangau. In the event you’re motorhoming in Germany, there are close by aires that are improbable.
- Detour into the Black Forest and go to Triberg, dwelling of the world’s largest (and smallest!) cuckoo clocks!)
- The ultimate cease is Füssen, stuffed with superbly painted buildings and the closest city to the long-lasting Neuschwanstein Citadel.
Southern Ring Street, Iceland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Route: Varies relying on the climate
One of the vital breathtaking winter highway journeys in Europe is in Iceland.
In the event you go to between November to March, you’ll discover frozen waterfalls, unbelievable snow-covered vistas and, for those who’re fortunate, it’s one of many greatest locations in Europe to see the elusive Northern Lights.
My husband and I had been fortunate sufficient to go to Iceland in winter and by far one of the best bit was having a automobile appropriate for driving round. In case you are hiring a automobile, be sure it has winter tyres fitted and carry a ‘just-in-case’ pack of blankets, sizzling drinks and meals.
In the event you’re taking your individual automobile, be sure you have correct winter tyres fitted. Additionally, though the Ring Street doesn’t technically shut throughout winter, the northern half can change into treacherous in dangerous climate, so maintain an in depth eye on the forecast and you could want to stick with the southern half.
In the event you’re planning to camp, remember that many campsites shut throughout winter, so it may be difficult to seek out locations with electrical energy and contemporary water.
Highlights and itinerary concepts for an Iceland winter highway journey
- Spend a day exploring Reykjavik- there’s loads of historical past to see right here.
- Plan to spend a day or two round Vik. Right here, you’ll discover the Black Sand Seaside at Reynisfjara, the deserted DC3 airplane wreck, and Yoda cave.
- In the event you proceed in direction of Hofn, you’ll discover the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Seaside, Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, and Vatnajökull Nationwide Park.
- Don’t miss any of the unbelievable waterfalls alongside the route. Relying on the climate and when in winter you go, many can be frozen, which makes for spectacular images!
Switzerland winter highway journey concepts
- Begin level/ metropolis: Basel
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Lugano
- Route: #2
- Distance: 270km
For an unforgettable winter highway journey with breathtaking surroundings, plan a drive between the attractive cities of Basel and Lugano in Switzerland.
In the event you’re assured driving in snow and wintery circumstances, you may take backroads to get pleasure from one of the best of the views and go to some native villages. You’ll additionally go over some spectacular mountains, so make certain your tyres are good and cease regularly to let your brakes cool.
NOTE: Ensure you have winter tyres fitted and pack an emergency package with meals and heat garments. In the event you’re motorhoming in Switzerland, be sure you have your tank heaters on too.
Winter highway journey itinerary concept
- Begin in Basel, a metropolis which is price exploring for a day or two when you’ve got time.
- Then head out in direction of Lucerne. Nearly each nook of this highway makes you go ‘wow’ and there are many viewpoints to cease at and seize the views.
- In the event you’re early sufficient, you may have the ability to drive the spectacular Furka Move- the most effective highway journeys in Switzerland.
- You may additionally wish to detour West to Valais and the Matterhorn- the views are unbelievable.
- Head south to Lugano. There might not at all times be snow right here, however it at all times has a splendidly heat environment and lots to get pleasure from.
Edinburgh to Inverness, Scotland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Edinburgh
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Inverness
- Route: Edinburgh- A84- A82 to Glencoe, Fort William and Invernesss
- Distance (miles and km): 253.88 km
- Greatest time to go to: New Yr/ Hogmanay
One of many greatest winter highway journeys within the UK is a round route from Edinburgh as much as Inverness, by way of Glencoe and Loch Ness.
Undoubtedly spend a couple of days exploring Edinburgh both earlier than or after your winter highway trip- this metropolis is fabulous and there’s a lot to see. Don’t miss Edinburgh Citadel, the Royal Mile or climbing Arthur’s Seat for a spectacular perspective of the town.
When you’re prepared, set out in your highway journey, driving by Loch Lomond and as much as Glencoe. The views listed below are SPECTACULAR- undoubtedly one of many most scenic highway journeys in Scotland. The route begins because the A84 however flip onto the A82 in direction of Fort William.
After travelling for 3 to 4 hours, you’ll arrive at Fort William and have the ability to see Ben Nevis, Britain’s tallest peak, within the distance.
Take the A-82 alongside Loch Ness to Inverness. Permit round three hours for this section- there are many locations to cease for images or making an attempt to identify Nessie.
From Inverness, you may both return to Edinburgh by way of the A9, or keep on north and sort out the well-known North Coast 500!
Wild Atlantic Approach
- Begin level/ metropolis: Malin Head, Donegal
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Mizen Head, County Cork
- Route: Wild Atlantic Approach
- Distance (miles and km): 1600 miles (2600 km)
- Greatest time of 12 months to drive or particular pageant/ occasion: March- St Patrick’s Day
The Wild Atlantic Approach is likely one of the longest coastal driving roads within the world- and one of the vital well-known! The shoreline is wild, rugged and breathtakingly lovely.
It runs from Malin Head in County Donegal to Mizen Head in County Cork. Normally, the route is packed by anybody desirous to go roadtripping or campervanning in Eire, however in winter, it’s MUCH quieter.
How lengthy does it take to drive the Wild Atlantic Approach?
The most effective a part of this route is that you may select to do as a lot or as little as you want. If you wish to do the whole route with out speeding, I like to recommend 1-2 weeks minimal. Don’t overlook, there’s loads to see off the primary route which you gained’t wish to miss and you’ll mix it with a number of of Eire’s different well-known highway journey routes.
Highlights of a Wild Atlantic Approach highway journey
A few of the highlights of a Wild Atlantic Approach highway journey embody:
- Mizen Head (one of many areas the place the newest Star Wars film was shot)
- the windswept isle of Skellig Michael,
- Achill Island (Eire’s largest island and an epic kitesurfing vacation spot)
- Galway Metropolis
- Cliffs of Moher
- Bantry Bay
- Malin Head
After all, there are PLENTY of different locations you may go to in Europe throughout winter. Locations like Spain and Portugal are at all times well-liked, as are additional away locations like Croatia and Greece. However I hope these helped offer you a bit inspiration to get the ball rolling.
Different posts you may discover helpful: